Hiccups can occur to any person and at any time. Usually, hiccups are caused by different things such as drinking too much, eating too much, laying down fast, being excited, standing abruptly, eating a spicy meal, sitting down fast, and getting nervous. In some situations, hiccups just occur without any of these causes. Hiccups occur because of a malfunction of the vagas nerve.
Whether they occur to you, your kid or even a friend, just know there are different methods that can be applied to deal with them. When a hiccup prolongs more than 2 days, you should immediately go and visit a doctor. Babies can be treated in a different way from that of adults. In this article, we’ve discussed the several ways that one can apply to get rid of hiccups first and easily.
Ways of getting rid of hiccups
Hiccups can either stay for a short while or longer in different people. Usually, hiccups stay longer in men than in women. A hiccup that lasts more than 48 hours should be treated seriously. Normally, a hiccup should take three hours before a person getting back to normal. There are various ways suggested of how to get rid of hiccups. These are as follows:
Drink in the correct manner to get rid of hiccups
Another crucial thing to do if you want to get rid of hiccups is by taking water in different ways. These are explained further as below:
- Take a glass full of water and begin gulping the water with a straw. Apply your fingers in plugging the ears when you sip the water. This is best applied by kids whereas the adults are expected to repeat this method at least two or three times a day.
- The second way it to try drinking the water without making use of your hands. Keep the glass of water on the table and sit on a chair. Then, bend forward and take maximum water as you can. The hiccups will disappear after some time.
- Take one teaspoon of honey and stir it in warm water. At the back of your tongue, place this solution and swallow it. Honey works effectively by tickling the vagus nerve and then halting the hiccups.
- Pour some sweet on the lemon, and then suck the juice. This will provide you instant relieve from hiccups.
- Take half teaspoon of either pickle juice or vinegar. The taste of these two isn’t that pleasant but they will help you cure the hiccups problem.
Breathe and swallow to cure hiccups
One of the best ways to get rid of hiccups is by breathing and swallowing. This can be done as follows;
- Attempt breathing as much as you can, without letting the air out. Maintain swallowing or inhaling the air until you can and then exhale it in a controlled way. This will help you reset your breath.
- Swallow food with your mouth wide open. Repeat this for some minutes. When the need to swallow comes up, proceed to do it but remember to swallow without shutting your mouth. This is referred to as gulping; attempt this more so when you feel the hiccup might take place again. Gulping assists in getting rid of this problem in a few minutes.
- Attempt to stretch your diaphragm when breathing. This is the instant healing for hiccups and will excellently interrupt those hiccups which are disturbing you. Try holding your breathe around 40 seconds and then slowly exhale it until you feel emptiness inside your lungs.
- Also, a person can decide to breathe in and out consistently. You will see the change in just the first 10 cycles of breathing. This will assist in getting rid of the hiccups very easily.
Move your body
There are different ways you can move your body in order to get rid of hiccups, you can scream, get tickled, cough, swallow air till you begin burping or as well carry out any exercise. These will distract the hiccup and cause it to halt.
Take food to get rid of hiccups
There are different kinds of food a person can take in order to get rid of hiccups. These are as below;
- Eat peanut butter, nutella or even almond butter for you to relieve your body from hiccups. Take the recommended amount of butter and put it in the mouth for at least 10 seconds. Then, you can swallow it with the assistance of the saliva. Do not take water after taking butter.
- Take some sugar such as one teaspoon would be okay. Honey can as well function for healing hiccups. Fill your mouth with sugar and hold for not less than 5 minutes before you swallow it. Take some water so that swallowing can be easy and fast.
- Alternatively, you can take salt which acts as a great choice of lowering or curing the hiccups problem.
There are objects that can be utilized to get rid of hiccups easily and fast. These include; pencil and paper bag applied as follows:
- Put a pencil horizontally in between the teeth and then take water. Allow the pencil to be there and drink as much water as you can.
- Take a paper bag and breathe in it. As a result of the increased intake of carbon dioxide, the body will halt creating hiccups.
Eat hot sauce to remove hiccups
When hot sauce is taken into the body, it plays part in stopping the hiccups. This is because of the burn and the heat in the body which leads to distraction which is enough in changing the body towards the feeling of burn.
Improve your concentration
If you are suffering from hiccups and have a low concentration, it will take a while before the condition goes away. So, try to concentrate by doing one of these things;
- You can decide to draft a letter, read a book, or even send a long text so that your mind is involved in things instead of paying attention to the hiccups that is disturbing your peace.
- Also, you can decide to take a toothpick and break it into two. Place it in a glass of drinking water. Then, drink the water by concentrating not to swallow the toothpick. Your level of concentration will rise and the hiccup will go away easily.
Trick the hiccups by paper towel
Another simple but wonderful way to get rid of hiccups is by drinking the water by putting a single sheet of paper on the glass. You require pushing yourself a bit for sipping the water. This makes you to get involved in different practice and definitely forget about the hiccups.
Chewing the dill seeds
The best traditional cure for hiccups is by use of the dill seeds. Simply, take a teaspoon that is full of dill seeds. Then, chew some and then swallow the entire lot with water. These will assist you trigger the nerves and stop the hiccups.
Hold on for the hiccups to disappear
A good number of people don’t get bothered when attacked by a hiccup. They believe it’s a normal body conditions and leaving it alone is the best way. Hiccups usually come and go but sometimes they may persist and stay for long needing the attention of a doctor.
Have some distraction – try to make a person to startle you by surprising you hugely so that you become distracted and end the hiccups.
Carry out some cardiovascular practices such as squats, sit-ups or jumping jacks to change your breathing pattern.
How to get rid of hiccups in babies
Hiccups usually occur in babies. But this doesn’t normally disturb babies as they seem to go on with their life undisturbed. During the first year, a baby may experience hiccups on a daily basis which seems to be normal. In case the hiccups of your baby are making you worry, there are a number of steps you can embrace to get rid of. Especially if they are disrupting your newborn from feeding and sleeping, you can try out one of the methods below.
How to treat hiccups in babies
First step: always nurse your baby. Breastfeeding can assist your kid’s diaphragm relax and halt hiccups quickly.
Second step: try to burp your child. Burping between feeding brings up trapped air from your infant’s stomach and can assist alleviate gas and stomach upset that could cause emergence of hiccups.
Third step: hold your child in an upright position. Also, change positions while feeding your child and hold her upright after eating to assist gas rise and pass naturally.
Fourth step: provide your kid something to suck on. Sucking on a pacifier can assist reduce your child’s hiccups.
How to prevent hiccups in babies
First step: feed your child when he’s calm. Don’t let the baby to become so hungry that they end up crying. A very hungry child will suck in the air while crying, which can lead to hiccups and gas issues.
Second step: stop taking foods that may activate hiccups. In case you’re breastfeeding, a number of foods in your diet may be in a position to trigger hiccups and gas in your newborn. Make an effort to do away with dairy products from your diet if your kid suffers from frequent hiccups. The most common contributor to breast milk sensitivities in toddlers is dairy.
Third step: ensure that your newborn is warm most of the time as hiccups are usually caused by a sudden temperature change that causes a toddler to become cold.
If your newborn’s hiccups are nit ending and are featured by coughing or spitting up, then take the kid to a doctor for check instead of employing your own methods. But if its just a normal condition, hiccups in newborn’s come and go without requiring any treatment. Thus there shouldn’t be anything to tense about.
Hiccups are usually caused by some areas of your body that aren’t function as needed. These points can be referred as pressure points and bringing then back to their normal functioning will make the hiccups go away. Here are the pressure points:
- Improper functioning of the diaphragm causes the emergence of hiccups. To get rid of them, simply press your diaphragm gently.
- The second pressure point is your tongue. Just hold your tongue with your fingers and tug. This in turn stimulates the vagus nerve and eases the diaphragm spasms, which may at times halt the hiccups. This isn’t a sure method as it doesn’t work 100 percent of the time.
- Finally, the nose. When swallowing, put gentle pressure on your nose.
Medicines to prescribe for curing hiccups
In the situation where the hiccups are persistent and have become long-term, it is advisable to visit a physician to get medicine. This is very applicable for people who aren’t eating well, have insomnia, signs of clinical depression or are losing weight because of the unending hiccups. The drugs below are recognized to assist people with frequent hiccups:
- Chlorpromazine – is an antipsychotic medication
- Haloperidol – is an antipsychotic medication
- Baclofen (lioresal) – is a muscle relaxant
- Metoclopramide (raglan) – is a medication applied in the healing of nausea.
- Gabapentin – it was formerly applied for healing epilepsy, it is currently prescribed for neuropathic pain and hiccups.
In addition, hiccups can be caused by various ailments such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Thus, when the underlying health condition is treated, it will assist in relieving the hiccups. If you are suffering with GERD experience signs caused by stomach acid leaking into the food pipe, you may be directed by a doctor to take a drugs referred to as proton pump inhibitors. These drugs usually lower the amount of stomach acid that the body creates. This will turn get rid of the hiccups and be healed completely.
History of hiccups
In the past, there have been several cases of people who have reported hiccups of all kinds. Usually, hiccups last for 3 hours or less than 48 hours. But if they go beyond this range, then the person should seek doctor’s attention. One of the longest hiccups in history was recorded by Charles Osborne from the year 1922 to 1990. It took 68 years and was entered in the Guinness World Record as the man with the longest attack of hiccups. Osborne from Anthon, Lowa, United States, was born in 1892 and passed on in 1991, one year after being cured from hiccups through hormone surgery. This is the longest a person has suffered from hiccups with other suffering a shorter time than that of Osborne. Today, many people suffer from hiccups especially newborns.
Precaution when healing hiccups
- Ensure that the consumption of any items such as salt, sugar, butter, chocolate and any other food is not in excess. Treat the carefully and don’t eat or take anything in excess, but just the recommended amount.
- Avoid putting on very tight clothes around your chest or you won’t be in a position to relieve the issue. Loosen the cloth up or change the whole attire.
- Stay away from heavy food items at the time of hiccups. Eating heavy food will not allow you to enjoy it and may lead to vomiting.
- Handle hiccups with great care. If they prolong, they can lead to great harm to the body.
- Avoid attempting all the remedies for hiccups, ensure you seek parental guidance when healing hiccups.
- Always speak to the doctor before trying out various methods that you read or are told about.
Hiccup is a condition that many people don’t love due to its discomfort. Many people who have undergone this condition for a long period and they detest the experience completely. It is caused by a number of factors and can be treated with the different methods we’ve discussed about above. Also, there are various methods that a person can use to get rid of the hiccups such as eating fast, extreme emotions, swallowing air while chewing, breathing and moving your body, among many other methods.
Hiccup in kids is normal but if it persists, it’s good to see a doctor. Some of the methods to apply in order to get rid of hiccups in kids are by burping them, calming the baby, changing their position, and breastfeeding mothers should stay away from dairy products. Also, in adults, when hiccups are long-term, the person should see a physician might away as the cause may be something else rather than the hiccups themselves.